On June 27, a black man was fired upon by policemen in the city of Akron, Ohio, in the US. After which he died. The deceased was identified as Zeland Walker. He was not following the traffic rules. He tried to run away even after being stopped by the police. The police opened fire on him 60 times one after the other. Now the video of this incident has surfaced.
According to a report by The New York Times, who fired 60 times at Zeland
, the Akron police chief said that the police officers told Zeland Walker to get out of the car. He didn’t agree. He was pulled out, but still he was trying to escape. He was chased after which the officers fired at him 60 times. He didn’t have weapons. During this he died.
Demonstrations in many cities In
many states of America, people are protesting against the murder of Zeland Walker. People are demanding a probe into the matter with banners of ‘Justice for Zeeland’ and ‘Black Lives Matter’ in their hands.
People have been protesting for the last four days. They demand that Zeland get justice and those who killed him be punished.
Rising racism in
America is not such that only blacks are killed in America. Whites are also killed, but a report by ‘The Economist’ quoted statistics as saying – the number of blacks killed by the police is 3 times more than the number of whites. How many blacks are killed by the police every year. Most are not even mentioned. Officers do not get punished.
such violence in the past
- On 11 April 2021, Deontay Wright was shot for not following traffic rules.
- On May 25, 2020, a Minneapolis police team killed George Floyd. The police surrounded him and threw him on the ground. He placed his knee on his neck and held it for 8 minutes. He died.
- On 13 March 2020, the police shot Breonna Taylor 8 times. Police were investigating his house.
- On 18 March 2018, Stephen Clarke was shot 7 times after entering his home. The police was investigating the incident of theft near his house. During interrogation, Stephen was shot.
- On April 4, 2015, Walter Scott was shot 5 times by a white police officer. Walter died on the spot.
- On July 17, 2014, New York police strangled Eric Garner while apprehending him. He said that he could not breathe. Later he died. Eric was accused of unfairly selling cigarettes.
- According to the American non-profit organization Mauping Police Violence, police officers killed 200 black people in 2021.
- When white immigrants from Europe started settling in America, they took thousands and millions of blacks from Africa as slaves there. They were slaves, not laborers. Home, food, clothing, education, medicine and security, nothing was right for these black slaves. They were bought and sold like animals.
- Blacks made up 19.3% of the American population in 1790, but their civil rights were not even 1 percent. They had neither the right to vote, nor to get justice from the courts, nor to get treatment.
- If a white person got angry with any of his words, they used to catch the blacks and burn them alive, hang them on trees, or push them into wells. Despite this, America has claimed that it is the most egalitarian, free and just nation in the world.